phone07 4772 5155

Property + Financial Issues

Property + Financial Issues - Why we are one of the best Property Settlement Lawyers near you?

It is important to obtain legal advice about what you are entitled to and what is fair and reasonable. We provide legal advice that is specific to your situation and seek to obtain a settlement for you that is excellent and affordable. We have represented clients in these types of situations for over 36 years.

It is important to determine what will happen with your finances. You have separated and are living apart - so who pays the bills? This includes home loans, car repayments, electricity, rates, and other commitments.  

Again, we can assist by negotiating with your ex-partner or their lawyer an interim or temporary arrangement, while the long-term issues surrounding property division/settlement are negotiated. If no arrangement is reached, we can apply for you to the Court for interim or temporary Orders.

Property Settlement can be emotional, challenging and complicated. All family law property settlement is determined by a four-step process. 
  1. The Property Pool. All of the assets, financial resources (eg. superannuation) and debts - joint and individual need to be identified and valued. 
  2. The Contributions. Direct and Indirect, Financial and Non-Financial contributions need to be determined and considered. All are relevant.
  3. Future Needs. Each party may have future financial needs that need to be considered.
  4. Just and Equitable. Any proposed settlement must be just and equitable for both parties.
8:30 - 17:00
8:30 - 17:00

Let's start with a chat

Call now 

07 4772 5155

First Appointments are a low fixed fee of $330 inc gst.

  • 1 hour duration
  • 15 minute follow up call a few days later
  • with an experienced family lawyer
  • to figure out your next steps

Property Settlement

Having separated and decided that your marriage or de facto relationship is at an end, the long-term issue is the finalisation of financial issues between yourself and your ex-partner. 

Issues surrounding property can include the family home, investment properties, commercial properties, family companies, businesses and trusts.  

Superannuation, including self-managed super funds are also extremely important and can be split or divided between parties to achieve a fair outcome after separation. Even if your house and other assets have reduced in value and your mortgage is identical to the value of your house, it is likely that there will be significant superannuation which needs to be split between you and your ex-partner. Receiving your fair share of the superannuation when you separate will have a very significant effect upon your financial position when you reach retirement age.  

If you are concerned that your ex-partner is disposing of assets or dealing with property without your consent and contrary to your interests, then we can apply to the Court for orders.  These are referred to as injunctions and prevent your ex-partner from selling, disposing or otherwise dealing with assets of the relationship.  In these circumstances it is essential that you obtain advice urgently and your lawyer act immediately

If there is real estate property, for example your home or an investment property but you are not on the title, this does not mean that you don’t have an interest in the property. This situation may enable your ex-partner to sell, transfer or borrow money against the property. In these circumstances, to prevent this happening we can assist by lodging a caveat over the property on your behalf to prevent further non-informed action and to protect your property interests. 

Generally, both parties are anxious to finalise property and financial (including superannuation) issues relatively quickly and cost effectively.

We regularly assist people who have separated and have reached an agreement between themselves in relation to property issues. We can advise you in relation to the ‘fairness’ of that agreement, taking into account the various considerations that are set out in the Family Law Act.

If our advice is that the agreement or settlement is unfair, we can assist you by writing to your ex-partner or their lawyer to negotiate a fair settlement quickly and cost effectively.  If a settlement is reached, we can then assist with the preparation of legal documents (either Consent Orders or Binding Financial Agreement) in order to finalise and formalise the agreement.

If these negotiations do not lead to a settlement, or if it appears your ex-partner (or their legal representation) is not reasonable, then we can assist by filing an application in the Court on your behalf. This application is for Orders in relation to all property including superannuation. Filing an application in the Court does not mean that your dispute is going to proceed to a final hearing.  It may be that the filing of the application will cause your ex-partner to become more reasonable. Prior to the matter going to Court, the Court will insist upon the parties attending either a conciliation or mediation conference. Further efforts will be made to resolve the matter in these conferences.

Legal costs are a factor that must be considered. In our dealings we are always mindful of the legal costs to our clients. We will keep you fully informed about costs so that you have all the financial information you need to make good decisions about settlement.

Spousal Maintenance

In addition to both parents having an obligation to support children, couples who separate may also have an ongoing obligation to financially support one another.  This is referred to as Spousal Maintenance. 

If you have separated and your ex-partner has left you high and dry financially by transferring joint savings from accounts, closing bank accounts, cancelling credit cards etc, we can help. We can assist you in securing financial support from your ex-partner and if necessary, we can apply to the Court for Urgent Orders.  

If your ex-partner has been unreasonable and an application to the Court is required, then the Court may also order that the other party pay the legal costs that you incur in applying to the Court.

Time Limitations

It is important to know that in both de facto and marriage relationships, there are time limits which apply in relation to both property and spousal maintenance.

Most couples who separate, resolve their property/financial issues well and truly prior to their divorce. 

If you are married, application for property and spousal maintenance must be made within 12 months of your divorce becoming finalLater applications require special permission from the Court but this permission is not always granted. 

If you were in a de facto relationship your application for property settlement must be made or filed within the Court within 2 years of the separation of that de facto relationship.

Jodi Dingwall

Family Law Solicitor

Call 07 4772 5155 or use our contact form:

 Contact Us

Emma Donald

Family Law Solicitor

Call 07 4772 5155 or use our contact form:

Contact us

Courtney Aitken

Family Law Solicitor

Call 07 4772 5155 or use our contact form:

Contact us

Bridget Barrie

Family Law Solicitor

Call 07 4772 5155 or use our contact form:

Contact us


Get In

Request A Call Back




How Can We Help